Friday 31 December 2010

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome(clinical)

CAUSES:
Classic Ramsay Hunt syndrome is ascribed to infection of the geniculate ganglion by herpesvirus 3 (varicella-zoster virus [VZV]).



HISTORY:
*Patients usually present with paroxysmal pain deep within the ear. The pain often radiates outward into the pinna of the ear and may be associated with a more constant, diffuse, and dull background pain.

*The onset of pain usually precedes the rash by several hours and even days.

*Classic Ramsay Hunt syndrome can be associated with the following:
-Vesicular rash of the ear or mouth (as many as 83% of cases),The rash might precede the onset of facial paresis/palsy.
-Ipsilateral lower motor neuron facial paresis/palsy (CN VII)
-Vertigo and ipsilateral hearing loss (CN VII)
-Tinnitus,Otalgia,Headaches,DysarthriaGait,ataxia.
-Fever,Cervical adenopathy.

*Facial weakness usually reaches maximum severity by one week after the onset of symptoms.

*Other cranial neuropathies might be present and may involve cranial nerves (CNs) VIII, IX, X, V, and VI.

*Ipsilateral hearing loss has been reported in as many as 50% of cases.

*Blisters of the skin of the ear canal, auricle, or both may become secondarily infected, causing cellulitis.


EXAMINATION:

.The primary physical findings in classic Ramsay Hunt syndrome include peripheral facial nerve paresis with associated rash or herpetic blisters in the distribution of the nervus intermedius.
.The location of the accompanying rash varies from patient to patient, as does the area innervated by the nervus intermedius. It may include the following:
1.Anterior two thirds of the tongue
2.Soft palate
3.External auditory canal
4.Pinna
.The patient may have associated ipsilateral hearing loss and balance problems.
.A thorough physical examination must be performed, including neuro-otologic and audiometric assessment.

1 comment:

  1. I thought my life had become meaningless and had nothing to offer anymore as I had HIV, the symptoms became very severe and bold which made my family and friends run away from me and abandoned me, so they won't get infected. I gave up everything, my hope, dreams, vision and job because doctors told me there's no cure. I consumed so many antiviral drugs, but they never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me, It was worse. I was desperate to find a solution to this horrible and deadly virus inside me. I made online research on herbal remedy for  HIV/Aids cure when I came across testimonies of some people on how DR JAMES uses his herbal mix medicine to Cured them of  MENINGITIS, DENGUE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, BIPOLAR DISORDER, ALZHEIMER'S DISEASES, UNDERACTIVE THYROID, HIV/AIDS. HERPES VIRUS. CANCER, ALS, STROKE, HEPATITIS B, DIABETES, FIBROID, MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS, CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASES, LUPUS, SKIN CANCER.OVARIAN CANCER, INFERTILITY,GET YOUR EX BACK. I never believed at first and thought it was a joke but later decided to contact him on the details provided and when I messaged him we talked, and he told me on how his herbs and root medicine works Which was all okay with me. He sent me his herbal mix medicine and told me the usage and I should go for a test after 3 weeks of drinking the herbal medicine Within 7 days of his medications the symptoms disappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I negative by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you DR James for saving my life and I'll keep telling the world about you. If you're out there going through pains, rejection and  facing any kind of health challenges Worry no more and contact DR James via.  DRJAMESHERBALMIX@GMAIL.COM  He's a good man, and he will surely help you.

    ReplyDelete